So much easier the second time…

So where were we?  Seems like such a long time ago, but I guess it’s only been about two weeks.  Since then it seems like I’ve done a lot, and I’m not even sure where to start.  Somewhere along the ride, I decided that I should get new suspension pieces – not even sure how that happened…  let’s see…. Oh yes, I had new rear brake stuff – new drums, new shoes, new  cylinders… so I got in there and started disassembly, which was a bit of a bear – too much rust for brakes.  The drums came off okay, and it became immediately apparent where my brake fluid leak was – this job came at the right time – maybe too late.  I got to taking out the hard line from the old cylinder – lots of rust there.  I cranked on it pretty hard, and snapped off the bleeder valve.  Good thing I was replacing the cylinder anyway.  But then i realized that I had also damaged the hard line in the process.  I priced out new hard lines, and invested in some flare nut wrenches – best money I ever spent for this job.  The 11mm became my friend and new favorite tool.  Turns out that new hard lines weren’t to pricey, and … “while I”m in there…”  Then I got lucky and found someone that had the entire set for sale – cheap.  Original BMW parts with tags – ordered from Blunt – exactly what I was going to most likely do.  So I bought those… Of course, the set has every piece except the two that I really really needed.. but it was such a good deal, it doesn’t matter.  Even had two new E-Brake cables  Ordered up the two needed pieces and began to take out the E-brake bits.  I hadn’t even considered replacing this, but I had the new part, and the existing cable was pretty beat, and rusted tight into it’s tubing, and hey… I was already “in there”.  I cranked on the old cable pretty hard with pliers, vice grips, needle noses etc.  Nothing doing -this thing was not moving.  If only I had a Bowie knife.  Instead, I did the routine soak cycle of PB, Liquid Wrench and some can of stuff I’d gotten in the mail for free.  Probably a toxic combo, but hey.. this thing has to come out, right?  I took out the handle inside the car, and started shooting stuff down there, too – hit it from both sides, if you will.  Still no luck.  Almost lost hope, and people told me to try “the torch”.  Lord, it doesn’t seem like a good idea to get underneath the car with a torch… I don’t care how careful you are, fire extinguishers, whatever… this just seems like a bad idea.  Others suggested I “open it up, and weld it back shut”.  But I don’t weld, so I soaked it another day, and in the morning, first thing, I went after it one more time with some brand new Vice Grips.  Tiny wiggles back & forth, as a wise old man told me one time, tiny wiggles back & forth.  And lo and behold it moved.  “IT MOVED”, to quote Costanza.  And we all knows that when it moves, it’s a good thing.  A little more coaxing  and the e-brake cable was finally out!!   Glorious day!!  I love a good battle with a crazy nut or a pesky bolt – that feeling when it breaks is like gold! After they were pulled out, the new cables were pretty easy to slide in. Did the same thing to the other side – one more day of love juice on there, and eventually the second side came out pretty easy.  So much easier the second time.

One thought on “So much easier the second time…

  1. Nice work Matt, Betty must be proud. That’s one project I haven’t had to tackle yet.

Comments are closed.